Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Inc. Part 3

The third readings were interesting in that they sort of gave us different perspectives. They were aimed at different audiences to help the reader understand more clearly what is going on within the food industry. I liked the part where he talks about “questions for a farmer” because it immediately tied me into the text as he sort of leads me to think of questions that I should consider when purchasing foods from the store. He suggests that I buy local foods, foods in season, grow my own food, and to just question where the foods come from and how they are raised. This strategy of putting me on the spot makes me feel like I can make a difference without having to really reach out to extreme measures. However, something that could be a bad strategy to the reading was that at some points it seemed too fact based. Sometimes I would lose interest in the amount of facts presented to me with my little amount of background knowledge of the subject. This specifically happened in the “Sustainable Table” section for me. I didn't really like Joel Selatin's section because I felt like I was being talked down to or like I was living an awful life. At times, he seemed like he was better than me, which was a turn off in the reading because I lost interest in what he had to say. He does make a good point, however when he mentions how these huge food industry companies have no incentive to stop monopolizing over smaller farmers and markets. This was done to make the audience believe that there is no stopping them without us decreasing our consumption of the products that they produce. Although some parts of the reading get dry and boring, I find that it is a good supplement for those who are really interested in subjects covered in the movie. It’s offers many persuasive essays about a problem, and actually gives ways that we, as consumers, can help without having to be a radicallist.

No comments:

Post a Comment